Rodey's Reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rodey's Reviews

A place where people can discuss anything they so please concerning music and/or gaming.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Free Games Thread

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jarred
Underground Artist
Underground Artist

Free Games Thread Empty
PostSubject: Free Games Thread   Free Games Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:02 am

I figure this might work as a long running thread where users can share Free Games that can be downloaded from the web. You never know what free gems are out there.

I'm going to kick it off with Armagetron.
It's a free 3D remake of the Bike Scene from the movie Tron. Each player drives a lightbike around a grid. The Bikes leave a wall behind them that kills the other drivers if they bump into it. If you've ever played Snakes it's a similar concept. Just think a 3D version of Snakes Deathmatch and you have Tron.

I suggest setting up double binding on the left and right movement keys since that allows you to turn faster. (For Example, Set left for "A" and "Left Arrow" and right for "D" and "Right Arrow")
Back to top Go down
Jarred
Underground Artist
Underground Artist

Free Games Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Games Thread   Free Games Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:13 am

Another free game I enjoy is HGR - High Gravity Room

HGR is a treat for anybody who appreciates Galaga. It's a classic "shoot everything on screen" concept...with a twist...Your ship has a grapple and can mount itself on to all 4 corners of the screen. It plays great with a gamepad; I do find it difficult to play on a regular computer keyboard. Note on the righthand side there's an arrow showing what direction the incoming enemies will travel to give you a heads up on what side of the screen to jump to.

Arrow Keys Move
CTRL shoots
Alt uses the grapple
Back to top Go down
c.rodes76
Admin
Admin
c.rodes76

Free Games Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Games Thread   Free Games Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:55 pm

You may recognize the name Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw from The Escapist's Zero Punctuation video game reviews, but before Croshaw was doing videos for a mainstream company, he was doing freelance video game work on his personal website fullyramblomatic.com. He made many amazing "point and click" games with absolutely amazing plots and brilliant gameplay. The most notable of all these games was probably the Trilby series. This series of games has become one of my favorite game series of all time.

The Trilby series has one of the best, most enduring plots of any video game I have ever seen. Everytime I play through these games I have a really hard time pulling myself away from them. You will find yourself playing these games from beginning to end because the plot just will not let you go.

Here are the links to the games in order:

5 Days a Stranger
7 Days a Skeptic
Trilby's Notes
6 Days a Sacrifice

These games seriously get better and better as you play through them. Even when you don't think that the plot could get any deeper and more intriguing, it does. Aside from the story, the puzzles in the game are also really well thought out and will take a little bit of thought and attention to detail to complete.

The rest of the games on Croshaw's site are also pretty good. 1213 is another one of my favorites. It's not a point and click like the Trilby series, but more of a run/climb/shoot/sneak around type game with plot twists like you wouldn't imagine.

The rest of his games are also worth a look if you find you are interested in his work. You can find a full list of his games at his personal website, here:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm
Back to top Go down
http://rodeysreviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Free Games Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Games Thread   Free Games Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free Games Thread
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rodey's Reviews :: Retro Reviews :: General Gaming Talk-
Jump to: